The Sovereign Barony of Caux claims various territories in Shropshire, England and in the Pays de Caux, Normandie. The history of the Barony begins with Hugo le Corbet or le Corbeau. With two of his sons, Roger and Robert, Sir Hugo joined in the battle of Hastings with William the Conqueror in 1066. For their service as knights to the Conqueror, Robert and Roger were given Baronies. Roger received twenty-five manors in Shropshire (The Barony of Caux). Robert received a grant of fifteen manors in Shropshire (the Barony of Longden). The Shropshire manors were granted to the Corbet brothers in 1069 CE by the Conqueror, and were reconfirmed by his son William Rufus in 1091 CE. Independent and sovereign under the overlordship of the King, the Barony was essentially a free states. This sovereign status was reconfirmed on the Barony of Caux in 1165 CE by the Count of Anjou, Henry II, Pretender to the English Throne. Among other achievements, the current Sovereign Barony of Caux has signed a Concordat of Mutual Recognition and Exchange of Ambassadors with the Republic of Burkina Faso in July of 2004.